Public Relations Internship - Summer 2023
Internship: Public Relations
Season: Summer 2023 (Approx June-Aug)
Application Deadline: Friday March 31 at 5pm CST
We are looking for a public relations (PR) intern to join our External Affairs and Marketing department. In this role, you will work closely with the Manager of PR & Media assisting with regular media relations efforts, writing of press releases and pitches, tracking earned media placements and much more. These efforts and activities should help position Shedd as a top cultural attraction, as well as an established leader in animal care, education, and research.
The PR intern will gain real-world experience working with media outlets and reporters as part of a non-profit public relations team and utilize Shedd Aquarium resources to grow as a young professional. We value our interns, and they are considered part of the team.
- Throughout the internship, work directly with the PR team to implement daily media relations, internal and external communications projects, events, and activities that help position Shedd as a top cultural attraction as well as a leader in animal care, conservation, and education.
- By mid-point of the internship, understand and operate various PR software and tools, such as Cision, and baseline knowledge about evaluation methods.
- By the end of the internship, develop and assist with executing a strategic communications plan from start to finish by establishing goals and objectives, key messages, PR tactics and strategies, and more.
Responsibilities & Projects:
- Demonstrate commitment to Shedd’s vision, mission and values
- Develop an understanding of Shedd Aquarium’s brand and voice.
- Willingness to interact with both internal and external audiences via telephone or in-person. Updates managers accordingly.
- Light media pitching; returning media requests.
- Assist in drafting press releases, pitches, and other communications assets (fact sheets, key messages, etc.)
- Assisting with the coordination logistics for media interview opportunities and events.
- Produce media monitoring reports to showcase how Shedd is perceived in the news and compiling secured media placements by using PR analytics software.
- Use media contact database to build and update media lists.
- Update media kits and other communications resources.
- Participate in team meetings and brainstorms to support communication goals.
- Support the greater External Affairs & Marketing team on general projects.
- Assisting staff with internal communication needs.
- Other projects as assigned
Fields of Interest:
- Public relations
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills
- Baseline knowledge about AP style
- Organizational skills
- Ability to work independently
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite
- Professional work ethic and demeanor is imperative
- Have a high school diploma or GED.
- Devices that allow for video conferencing and internet access
- Reliable internet connection
Time & Compensation:
- This is a non-exempt, temporary position that pays $15.40 per hour
- We anticipate this position will be scheduled for 21 hours per week for 10 weeks, pending business needs and individual performance.
- Preferred schedule: flexible within standard business hours, Monday-Friday between 9am and 5pm.
- Set schedule based on intern availability.
We welcome applications from all levels of experience, including those seeking career exploration or changes, gap year students, freshmen, sophomores, and those seeking first internships.
We strongly encourage people of color, LGBTQ+ community, Veterans and active duty military, parents, individuals with disabilities, and individuals from all cultural backgrounds to apply. Shedd Aquarium is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes everyone to our team.
If you need a reasonable accommodation at any point in the application or interview process, please let us know. In your application, please feel free to select which pronouns you use (For example – she/her/hers, he/him/his, they/them/theirs).