JOB DESCRIPTION DOES NOT CONSTITUTE A CONTRACT FOR EMPLOYMENT
City of Quincy
JOB TITLE: Accountant/Payroll Specialist DATE: October 2022
DEPARTMENT: Comptroller FLSA STATUS: Exempt
Under limited supervision, manages the payroll system, creates/maintains all pay codes, benefit codes, deduction codes. Exercises independent judgment to perform all payroll functions including processing and auditing each bi-weekly payroll cycle, and period-end closing. Responsible for all payroll maintenance and related reporting. Reports to the Comptroller.
• Receives and reviews payroll change notices ensuring compliance with City policies
• Processes and calculates a variety of payroll actions including wage garnishments, benefits withholding, and payroll liability.
• Maintains all payroll codes in the City's payroll system to ensure all pay calculations are correct
• Enters new employees, retirements, and terminations; makes payroll employee changes to benefits, taxes, addresses, deductions; accruals, and maintains files
• Ensures that tax payments to the federal and state agencies are electronically submitted
• Works with the Department of Human Resources regarding confidential personnel transactions, such as salaries, benefits, promotions, reclassifications, demotions, suspensions, terminations and other related matters
• Serves as liaison with financial institutions, auditors and City departments and offices regarding payroll-related issues
• Assists independent auditors in their performance of annual audit; explains policy and procedures as requested
• Responsible for payroll budgeting/staffing planning
• Prepares related payroll reports for departmental use/analysis
• Responsible for auditing the work of the Accounts Payable coordinator each check cycle
• Other duties as assigned by the Comptroller
College education preferred. Prefer degree in accounting or related field.
THIS JOB DESCRIPTION DOES NOT CONSTITUTE A CONTRACT FOR EMPLOYMENT
Experience performing payroll-related functions preferred or a equivalent combination of training and experience that provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
• Knowledge of general accounting policies and procedures
• Ability to organize, prioritize, and coordinate work activities in a confidential manner
• Knowledge of personal computers, spreadsheets and word processing programs
• Ability to research and analyze various types of data, and evaluate and present information to others
• Ability to read, understand and interpret written materials and oral instructions
• Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work
• Ability to maintain detailed and accurate payroll files
• Must understand basic accounting concepts of debits/credits
• 10-key calculator proficient
• Must be able to perform simple to complex math calculations
• Ability to analyze financial information
• Experience with Governmental Accounting preferred
• Must understand basic accounting concepts of debit/credit, balance sheets, and payroll
Exercises no routine supervisory responsibility but may direct the activities of the other city staff responsible for payroll entry.
EQUIPMENT TO BE USED:
Computer, fax machine, telephone, calculators, copier, and general office equipment
Standing, sitting, kneeling, stooping, lift maximum of 25 pounds
Works in a typical office setting. Expected to be consistently reliable and punctual for scheduled work.